Did You Know?

Did you know??
Although using avocados and bananas are all the buzz now to get soft and shiny hair, all it will get you is a messy kitchen and bathroom. These products are great to help your hair for one day, but the proteins in them are way too big for your hair to absorb. And unless you are going to use them each day (yikes!), then you should head to a beauty supply store and check out some Vegan products that use "hydrolyzed" proteins - proteins from avocados and bananas that actually are small enough to help your hair.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Chicken" Seitan Pot Pie

Photobucket
Sorry for the quick photo - we were much too hungry to wait. I will make it again and replace!
















The holidays make me crave simpler times. Sometimes, all I want for Christmas is to sit at the dinner table and eat whatever my family is eating. But with two brothers who are avid meat-lovers, sometimes the mocking never ceases, while I eat a pile of corn and a roll or two. Any other meal, holiday, or season, it's not a big deal, but come December, it makes me feel a little left-out.

Not that I would ever eat meat (and I am generally criticised for apologizing to the turkey). But every once in a while, a delicious gravy or a heavenly pot pie sounds amazing.

Well, fortunately for me, and I guess turkeys everywhere, I was flipping through a cookbook and stumbled across a simple seitan recipe. I've made it before, but I guess the timing was off. Anyway, I started thinking. Why not make a "chicken" seitan, and use the leftover broth for the gravy?? And then make that into a pot pie?? And so I did, because I am a genius and Andy is really, really lucky.

For the seitan:

Come off it, you've made seitan before! Right? Okay, well, it's actually really simple. Basically, seitan is a wheat gluten dough that is cooked in broth to flavour it. It takes a while, but is all around a decent faux meat in the end. If you aren't a faux meat person, you could just make the gravy and forgo the seitan part, but I think it's worth it.

Well, if you really haven't made it before...here it is!

You can use any pie dough for the crust, including some store bought brands (I think Pillsbury is vegan). Or you could make your own:

1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c vegan shortening
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsps ice cold water

All of the ingredients should be chilled. Cut the shortening into the flour until is all small crumbles, the size of peas or so. add the salt, and then add the ice water in tbsps, until the dough is formed. Separate the dough into two balls, then wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate your dough for about 45 minutes, and then when it's ready, roll it out!

--

Okay, so now your broth is cooled down, and your seitan should be resting. Chop it up into bite sized pieces, and add it back into the broth.

To the broth, add 3-5 tbsps of corn starch (the amount depends on how much it has cooked down, etc) until it resembles a thick gravy. Add in your desired vegetables, fresh or frozen: I used baby carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, and corn. You can add in potatoes, too, if you like, but you should have them boiled and all cooked before you add them to the gravy, so do that separately first. Then, cook them in the gravy until everything is nice and warm.

Roll our your dough and place the bottom crust in the pan. Cook it alone for 10-15 minutes in a 350 degree oven, until the edges are a bit browned. Then, add in your gravy with vegetables, place on your top crust, and brush it with a bit of olive oil (and add a few air holes by poking through the crust with a knife).

Bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment