Did You Know?

Did you know??
Although using avocados and bananas are all the buzz now to get soft and shiny hair, all it will get you is a messy kitchen and bathroom. These products are great to help your hair for one day, but the proteins in them are way too big for your hair to absorb. And unless you are going to use them each day (yikes!), then you should head to a beauty supply store and check out some Vegan products that use "hydrolyzed" proteins - proteins from avocados and bananas that actually are small enough to help your hair.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Few Things on Working Out from the Laziest Creature in Our House

Pictured: Black Cat, being more physically active than me.


















Hey, friends. I've said this before, and before that, and probably before that, but I am a workout hating machine. Seriously. My mother instilled in me a great love of all things chocolate, and enjoying those chocolate things with many marathons of Law and Order, and so my free time is spent doing mostly that. I am many other things: a (sometimes pathetic) graduate student, a voracious reader, a painter and a poet, a junk food lover, a baker AND a candlestick maker, but one thing I am absolutely not is athletic. Some of it is leftover from my particularly bad case of mono (before that, I was a bit of a runner, but only barely. About 2 miles a day. And most of that was simply because I was competing with a friend) but a big part of it is just my personality.

And for fun, it drives Andy crazy. He is very active, and he loves being hot and moving around and all that craziness. He would weed our garden in the middle of July at noontime (whereas I would be drinking ice water in a cold bath with a book with coconut milk ice cream all over my face).

He made me start working out with him this past year. After swearing up and down that I would use it, we signed up for a gym right down the street from us. After about 2 months, I was already swearing at him and begging him not to make me go, because I am that lame. But, by month 4 or 5 (when it started getting nicer outside and we weren't wearing six jackets just to go down the street) I was feeling better. I could run again for the first time in years.

Then, he wanted to try P90X. I tried it, hated it, tried it again, hated it more, then tried it again, and then we settled into a routine with it. It was way harder than the gym, but it made my knees hurt less (old soccer injury, procured because I really stunk at soccer) and I got results way faster. Then, Andy got Insanity.

I thought I hated P90X, but what I felt for Shaun T bordered on criminally insane. Some of his routines made me cry from physical exhaustion and humiliation  But, I couldn't argue with my new, very strong muscles. I had to buy bigger pants solely to fit my giant quads into them (which, as a lady, is actually embarrassing).

Andy found Hip Hop Abs about a month into our Insanity adventure. I watched one of the on a day off, and laughed out loud at how ridiculous it was. The next day, though, I was tired from our routine, my thighs ached, and I was running a bit late (I work out before I go to work). So I settled on the Hip Hop Abs workout, because it is less intensive and shorter.

I loved it. It didn't make me feel as exhausted as P90X or Insanity did, and I could moved afterwards. I even did a bit more working out once I was finished with it. It's a great program to wake up to, and besides the totally awkward and strange pelvic thrusting slash crabbing (seriously, do this workout ALONE), it's really effective. After a while, you could actually see my abs muscles (which, as a junk food person, has never ever been the case). And, while that was great, I wasn't a total wash for the rest of the day, either. I had energy. I took the stairs at work! It was crazy.

The best part was, I didn't want to bargain with myself. When we'd do the 40-60 minute workouts, my sneaky food-loving brain would be all "Hey Ashley, you worked out really really hard today. You earned that cake, girl!" and I'd end up ruining any headway I'd made. But with Hip Hop Abs, I couldn't bargain that much. It was only a 20 minute workout, after all. I'd have to take the stairs to help compensate for the brevity  I couldn't afford to eat that cake. I'd have time after my workout to make a green smoothie, instead of toasting a bagel or eating a pound of corn flakes.

And so I was much healthier and much better off doing this strange and awkward 20 minute work out than I ever was doing the more serious stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment