Did You Know?

Did you know??
Although using avocados and bananas are all the buzz now to get soft and shiny hair, all it will get you is a messy kitchen and bathroom. These products are great to help your hair for one day, but the proteins in them are way too big for your hair to absorb. And unless you are going to use them each day (yikes!), then you should head to a beauty supply store and check out some Vegan products that use "hydrolyzed" proteins - proteins from avocados and bananas that actually are small enough to help your hair.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Going Eggless: A Multi-Directional Approach to Baking without Eggs

There's more than one way to replace eggs in a recipe. Baking is a science - you want to keep the balances between liquids and dry ingredients the same, while maintaining the correct PH levels to make your baked goods rise.

I am still learning this balance, so most of the time, I am winging it too. But, here are a few (generally) no fail egg substitutes, and a few general rules about them.

I suppose I should start by mentioning that I'm referring solely to eggs as you would use them in baking. If you are looking for more breakfast-y eggs, we have some good recipes already here. Try Scrambled Eggs, or our Vegan Breakfast Sandwich.


Egg Replacer: Okay, this one is kind of a no-brainer. You can use this powered stuff in just about anything, and it's pretty simple. Personally, Bob's Red Mill is the way to go, but EnerG is pretty good too (and usually cheaper). The package gives specific instructions, but it's 1 tbsp with 2 tbsps of water for each "egg".

Silken Tofu: 1/4 c of silken tofu is about 1 egg. You'd definitely want to use this in a denser baked good, especially if you don't feel like blending the tofu to get it completely smooth (although you should). If you use the boxed, shelf tofu, add a bit of water or soymilk to help get a smoother, creamier texture.

Banana: 1/2 of a normal banana also works well. I wouldn't use this in everything, as sometimes the banana taste can linger a bit (particularly if your banana is very ripe). Mash it up or puree it before you add it into your batter.


Flax Seed: I'll start this off by saying I actually don't use this method. I find that making it correctly is kind of difficult, but making it incorrectly is pretty easy. When I first started using it, I couldn't ever get it right, and maybe that just made me a bit prejudiced. But, anyway, combine 1 tsp flax seed and 1 tbsp water. Blend until the mixture thickens. Or, try whisking together ground flaxseed (the same measurement) with water.

Applesauce: This one is a bit trickier to get right. It's about 1/4 c of applesauce to an egg, but you are upping your liquids a bit as well. I've had some luck adding in a bit of baking powder when I use applesauce (which is not that often).

A Few I've Heard (But Haven't Yet Tried):

Pumpkin: 1/4 c pumpkin is said to also work as a substitute. I'd imagine it works the same way as applesauce, but with the same caution as banana: the taste probably does linger a bit, so make sure you are using it in something that you wouldn't mind having a bit of pumpkin in!

1 1/2 tbsp oil, 1 1/2 tbsp soymilk, 1 tsp baking powder: This one I stumbled upon while doing a little research. I can't guarantee it will work, especially given that most of those ingredients are in your recipe already in varying degrees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment