Did You Know?

Did you know??
Although using avocados and bananas are all the buzz now to get soft and shiny hair, all it will get you is a messy kitchen and bathroom. These products are great to help your hair for one day, but the proteins in them are way too big for your hair to absorb. And unless you are going to use them each day (yikes!), then you should head to a beauty supply store and check out some Vegan products that use "hydrolyzed" proteins - proteins from avocados and bananas that actually are small enough to help your hair.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Sweet and Sour Rice

Photobucket

Every Sunday, I face this dilemma. I've got to make lunch for work for at least Monday and Tuesday, and I always start by feeling overwhelmed. And, as Andy will delight in telling you, I have very little food common sense, so if I don't make a good, veggie-full lunch, I will spend the workday staring at every vending machine and pondering the nutritional value of a lunch comprised entirely of pretzels and chewing gum.

So, that brings me to Sundays. I usually stand at a loss in our kitchen, munching on toast, and murmuring to myself. And though it provides endless hours of amusement for Andy, it mostly exasperates me. So I find things I like (I am very much a creature of habit) and I make them in bulk. And this little recipe is one of those things I like very much. It's so easy I can make it for 2 or 3 work days, and I don't mind eating it that often either! Plus, look at that wonderful colour palette!

1 c instant brown rice
2 c water
3 tsps chilli powder
1/4 c unsweetened, plain applesauce
3 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 c diced fresh pineapple
1 c diced fresh broccoli
1/2 c diced red pepper
1/4 c diced green onion
1/2 c diced white onion
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 dash paprika
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 dash crushed red pepper

Bring the water to a boil and add in rice. Once rice starts to fluff up and cook, add in applesauce, soy sauce,  vinegar, pineapple and veggies. Reduce the rice to a simmer once the veggies are in for a few minutes, and add in your spices one at time, adjusting for your personal tastes.

I think fried tofu would make an excellent addition if you are looking to bolster your fullness factor in this rice, but it's good as is, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment