Did You Know?

Did you know??
Although using avocados and bananas are all the buzz now to get soft and shiny hair, all it will get you is a messy kitchen and bathroom. These products are great to help your hair for one day, but the proteins in them are way too big for your hair to absorb. And unless you are going to use them each day (yikes!), then you should head to a beauty supply store and check out some Vegan products that use "hydrolyzed" proteins - proteins from avocados and bananas that actually are small enough to help your hair.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Egg-free Apple Bread

Photobucket

I love apples. They may be one of my favorite foods of all time. Growing up, my grandfather had a monstrous, unsightly apple tree out of a children's tale about a wicked witch-- it was a gnarley, mangled mess that reached forty feet into the sky. As threatening as it appeared, some of its less pernicious-looking branches dangled over the deck, allowing us young'ns to grab apples right off the tree. I didn't realize then that store-bought apples were pock-mark free and without the risk of bugs, so to me the apples were a mighty treat as I would gnash my teeth through their crunchy skins. My grandfather would yell at me in Italian, which I would respond with a few head shakes-- yes or no-- as to whether I had rubbed the apple on my dirty to shirt to clean it.

Now I couldn't tell you what kind of apple tree it was, or even what the apples tasted like, but the memories stand out whenever I think of my childhood. My grandfather sold that house in 2000, and with that went my childhood of the apple tree, the peach tree, the giant garden, the grape vines, and his wine press in the cellar. Oddly enough, now I have most of those things (including his actual old wine press, which I recently tried to make hard apple cider with. Spoiler alert: I failed).

Anyways, this apple bread is a great treat, and apples are cheap, so why wouldn't you want to make bread even tastier? A great morning treat instead of toast, this gives you your 'apple a day' without making it feel like a prison sentence (if you're not an apple person). If you are an apple person, well who doesn't like to try their favorite foods in different shapes and forms?!?!? The interesting thing about this recipe is that I made it sugar-free and oil-free, as I substituted apple sauce and apple butter for those ingredients. It's the tri-apple-on. Yeah. I went there.

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup apple butter
2 tbsp tapioca starch
3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Honeycrisp apples - peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins


In bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, place apple butter, apple sauce, tapioca starch, vanilla and apples. Stir into flour mixture.

Add raisins and mix.

Divided mixture between two greased 8-in. x 4-in. bread pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until bread test done. Be aware that because of the water content of the apples, sauces, and butters, this may take some time to fully bake.

Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan.




Caloric Info
Servings 10
Calories201.4
Total Fat: 0.6 grams
Sat Fat: 0.1 grams
Polyunsat. Fat 0.2 grams
Monosat. Fat: 0.0 grams
Cholesterol: 0 grams
Sodium: 180.0 mg
Potassium: 101.0 mg
Carbs: 45.7 grams
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 grams
Sugar: 9.3 grams
Protein: 4.3 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment